With the holidays in full swing, the art of hosting takes center stage.
A well-designed holiday table is a visual celebration that sets the tone for each gathering. Designing a table, like anything else, requires a thoughtful balance that speaks both to your style and the occasion.
Here, are my tips for aiming to create an atmosphere that effortlessly blends timelessness and warmth.
- Will this stand the test of time? It might seem silly and a bit too serious for a holiday table but truthfully, I start every design project with this question in mind. It is who I am, through and through. It’s not to say I don’t get playful and there aren’t moments I simply embrace the trends, but there is always something to be said about staying classic. So, my advice is to stay away from the literal sense of anything. Challenge yourself to bring ‘holiday,’ without having to scream it.
- Signature Centerpiece: Create the focal point with a curated centerpiece that reflects your aesthetic. Whether it’s a tasteful arrangement of seasonal flowers, a collection of candles in varying heights, or in this case a fresh garland, let it be something that stands out.
- Subtle Color Palette: Opt for a restrained color scheme that echoes the season without overwhelming the senses. Consider muted tones like deep burgundy vs. a bright red, or a rich emerald vs. a grass green. Think soft metallics. All of these will elevate your design and provide a sophisticated touch.
- Layered Textures: Introduce depth through the use of varied textures in your table linens, dinnerware, and decor. Mixing textured glassware (like the spiral in our coupes) with linen napkins, and smooth dinnerware adds visual interest.
- Candlelit Ambiance: The power of candlelight to evoke a warm and intimate atmosphere is non-negotiable. Opt for a mix of candle sizes and colors, placing them strategically to cast a soft glow around the table.
- Quality over Quantity: Embrace the concept of “less is more.” Select a few high-quality, statement pieces rather than overcrowding the table with decorations. This allows each element to shine and contributes to an understated elegance.
I hope these tips provide you with the ideas you need to visually create a beautifully designed table and, more importantly, a table that speaks to you.
For all your hostess and entertaining needs, including designing your table, shop our collection here.